Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 12:26:51PM -0800, Erast Benson wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 13:55 -0600, Kenneth Pronovici wrote:
> > It really seems like you jumped into this "base our system on Debian"
> > thing without really understanding what Debian is about.  Consider what
> > you're asking for.  You're asking Debian to make changes to the license
> > of some of its core infrastructure in order to solve problems your
> > project has created *for itself* by choosing to work with CDDL-licensed
> > code.
>
> If you do not like CDDL license, it is your personal opinion. Nothing
> more. I do not like Linux GPL nature, this is my personal opinion too.

I have nothing against CDDL, or OpenSolaris, or your new operating
system, and I never said I did.   I simply point out that you may not
have fully grasped the consequences of grafting Debian code into your
CDDL-licensed system.

> Existense of problem in Debian project not be able scale very well on
> non-glibc ports should be addressed and resolved.

Again: please stop mixing these two subjects.  This discussion has
nothing to do with non-glibc ports in general; it is specific to your
particular non-glibc port.  If you don't understand the distinction,
then ask for clarification!

You really need to start concentrating on what people are saying, not
what you think they mean.  When it comes to legal matters like this, the
Debian community generally expects people to be quite precise in their
wording.  The sooner you realize this, the better this discussion will
go for you.

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>