Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> If your core feature is GPLd code coming from Debian, I'd kindly suggest
> to take the concerns of Debian developers regarding compliance with the
> license of that code seriously, and to argue your points accordingly.

And I will unkindly *demand* that our concerns be taken quite seriously.

Often the Debian packaging scripts are GPLed and we are the copyright
holders of those.  Not to mention a bunch of Debian-specific packages that
are also GPLed, and whose copyright holders are Debian developers (and I am
one of them).  So, you'd better be prepared to convince us that shipping
CDDL Kernel+libc *together* with GPL software linked to that CDDL libc is
compliant, if you want to remain in good will with us.

We are NOT asking for too much, and we are not engaging in any religious
wars either.  We are being responsible citizens.  If the CDDL is compatible
to the DFSG and to the GPL, so much the better IMHO, I have *nothing*
against the Solaris kernel and libc, even if I do prefer the Linux kernel
and glibc over them.  I will welcome Debian OpenSolaris if it is possible to
do so legally.

  Henrique Holschuh