Re: [Fwd: Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program]

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 15:50 +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 06:31:00PM -0800, Erast Benson wrote:

> > > It's unlikely that you'll be accepted as an official Debian port unless
> > > you're willing to use the Debian bug tracking system. It's not
> > > reasonable to expect Debian maintainers to be willing to copy bugs to a
> > > completely different bug tracking system in cases where it turns out to
> > > be a Solaris-specific issue.
> >
> > on another hand, is Debian community willing to be not just GNU/Linux
> > centric and put some work on GNU/Solaris too? If yes, we could
> > re-consider.
>
> We do have non-Linux ports in the works (in various states of completion).
> Typically they don't get released because there is insufficient interest to
> get them to the quality level needed for a stable release.  This lack of
> interest probably stems from a "Linux is OK for me" viewpoint rather than an
> "all these non-Linux ports are useless" opinion -- that is, apathy rather
> than malice.

OK. May be I used too strong wording.. One of consideration on why we
decided to go with Debian-technology at first place was the fact that
Debian *is* a "system runtime" independent project. At least it was. But
when we actually start looking into the details, we found it very
GNU/Linux-centric except some absoutely core packages.

> A released Debian/Solaris would, in all likelihood, enhance Debian in all
> sorts of ways, like porting a regular program to 64-bit and big-endian
> architectures cleans things up.

And I believe OpenSolaris community will benefit too.

> > on another hand, Ubuntu has its own tracking system, so GNU/Solaris is
> > not the first one. Even though Ubuntu is GNU/Linux system...
>
> It's GNU/Linux, but not Debian.  It's a derivative.  The question here isn't
> whether you want to use some Debian-derived technologies in your port (which
> you're free to do with or without any input or cooperation with Debian
> itself) but whether you want to be part of A Debian Release.

Hard to say right now... Lets see how all this thing will progress.
But, *yes* we are willing to cooperate.

> > on another hand, GNU/Solaris uses different kernel and libc, which
> > brings many non-Debian-related issues into play.
>
> Yeeeeehah!  As I recall, there were plans to produce a non-glibc port of one
> of the BSDs, so there's precedent at some level.  Being
> not-so-glibc-dependent would also benefit projects like the guys trying to
> rebuild Debian for uclibc (or one of the other itty-bitty-libcs) for use in
> the embedded space.

true. there will be a lot of benefits for both communities.

Erast