Re: Bits from the release team: the plans for etch

Andreas Barth wrote:
* Humberto Massa (humberto.massa@almg.gov.br) [051026 18:28]:
Andreas Barth wrote:
* Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña (jfs@computer.org) [051026 18:09]:
"We can provide a sensible default for system users' removals that
copes with most situations and leave a door open (through debconf)
to sysadmins that want to fiddle with system users."
I really want to warn to try to be too smart by half. Reserving the name/uid-space by not removing the accounts works reasonable well,
and having at maximum 5-10 unnecessary accounts is also not the end
of the world either.
Problem being, if daemons don't remove their (supposedly exclusive-use)
accounts, you can end in two years with 100 unnecessary accounts in a
workstation.

How many daemon packages do you install in two years? I even doubt that
we have 100 packages that add accounts at all in debian.

count them and you'll see. Remember sarge has 17000 packages, how many of those do you think can add a user?

in my workstation I try out a new package (for scientfic computing, a game for Lucas, a new development package) at least once each two days, and a lot of times they come with their libs and their daemons -- and their users. So I see them, and think "oh, no, this is not what I thought it would be", and --purge them. And the daemons' users pile up in /etc/passwd.

--
HTH
Massa