Re: Bits from the release team: the plans for etch

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 08:20:02AM -0400, sean finney wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 02:15:41PM +0200, Gabor Gombas wrote:
> > If a package's postrm removes the user, and the next package's postinst
> > just calls "adduser", then the admin have no control over the reusing.

> > If you want to allow automatic user/group removal, then adduser should
> > be extended to remember every UID/GID that was ever used by a system
> > user, and never reuse them again even if they have since been removed
> > from /etc/passwd and/or /etc/group.

> i don't think removing and reusing users is a good idea in practice.
> what harm would there be in simply leaving the user account on the
> system permenantly, with maybe locking the account and setting the
> shell to /bin/false?

In the general case, I can think of two reasons to remove users (but
leave the ids reserved): namespace pollution, and user lookup performance
when using flatfile /etc/passwd.  Neither of these is particularly relevant
for system accounts, but if adduser gained support for something like this I
don't see any reason for system accounts to *not* use it.