Re: Packages file missing from unstable archive

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:05:08 +0200
Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> > -- has there been any progress towards providing zsync access to the
> > archives? It would seem that this would result in greatly reduced
> > data traffic on the network servers, without increasing the
> > computational load, as rsync does; I gather that this is the main
> > objection to its use.
>
> zsync uses http so you already have access. What is missing are the
> checksum files. Also, last I checked, zsync didn't yet have support to
> sync the contents of a deb as opposed to syncing the compressed data
> itself. Before that the savings are minimal at best.

To speak of zsync access obviously implies the existence of the control
files, which, as you say, are not there. Therefore the archives are not
currently accessible with zsync.

If the .deb files were compressed using the gzip "--rsyncable" option,
then fetching them with zsync (or rsync) would be considerably more
efficient than straight HTTP transfers. That's the reason why that
option was implemented. Perhaps it's thought that more testing is
required before it can be used for the archives; is there any other
reason not to use it?

-- Ian Bruce