Re: bogus lintian warning

Laszlo Boszormenyi <gcs@lsc.hu> writes:
> On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 23:34 -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

>> When they do, it is a violation of Debian standards to remove it from
>> the orig.tar.gz file.  So there is no question of doing that.

>  Where do you read that? May be true, but can't remember any place ATM.

I assume the reference is to the Developer's Reference, section 6.7.8.2,
which says in part:

    There may be cases where it is desirable to repackage the source even
    though upstream distributes a .tar.gz that could in principle be used
    in its pristine form. The most obvious is if significant space savings
    can be achieved by recompressing the tar archive or by removing
    genuinely useless cruft from the upstream archive. Use your own
    discretion here, but be prepared to defend your decision if you
    repackage source that could have been pristine.

and the ftp-master reject FAQ, which says:

    Repackage orig.tar.gz
      Do not repackage your orig.tar.gz unless you have to. If you need to
      remove files due to license issues - OK. But for example to have the
      directory in the tarball named pkgname-ver you DO NOT repackage.
      dpkg-source completely doesn't care about that.