Re: bogus lintian warning

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 23:34 -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> The lintian warning source-contains-CVS-dir is bogus.
 It is not.

> I agree that upstream should not put CVS in their tarballs.  But
> sometimes they do.
 Unfortunately.

> When they do, it is a violation of Debian standards to remove it from
> the orig.tar.gz file.  So there is no question of doing that.
 Where do you read that? May be true, but can't remember any place ATM.

> If you remove the CVS files from your unpacked build directory, that's
> well and good, but dpkg-source refuses to honor this, printing helpful
> messages like
> dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of directory stylesheet/CVS
 That's correct. You should remove it from .orig.tar.gz .

> So, it's a bogus warning.  It should be removed from lintian.
 Changing the .orig.tar.gz is not forbidden. So the lintian warning can
stay IMHO. The same with .svn/ dirs, don't forget them if CVS/ is on
topic.

Regards,
Laszlo/GCS