Re: How can I build a package from source that require the source of another (library) package?

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 01:26:36PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le samedi 17 septembre 2005 à 06:36 -0500, Bill Allombert a écrit :
> > On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 09:34:30PM +0200, Tomas Fasth wrote:
> > > Pathan is a library that implements XPath functionality in c++. It
> > > is available both as a separate tarball as well as bundled with the
> > > Berkeley DB XML sources provided by Sleepycat Software. The pathan
> > > build script require a path to the xerces source code tree. I have
> > > tried to find a way to build the pathan library without providing
> > > the xerces source but failed.
> >
> > find out exactly the files in the xerces sources that are needed
> > to build Pathan (using strace, etc.). Change xerces26-dev to include
> > these files so that you can just build-dep on xerces26-dev. Then try to
> > help upstream to reduce the source dependency.
>
> I guess this is still a bad idea. If these symbols are not part of the
> public API, you should never rely on them, as there's a possibility for
> xerces26-dev to stop providing them, or to change them, later.

True.  I ran into same thing with packaging anyterm (still in progress)
and librote (already in Sid/Etch).  I simply had to ask the librote
developer to make the symbols public and he did.  No problem and much
cleaner than requiring the source of another package.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto