Re: How can I build a package from source that require the source of another (library) package?

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 09:34:30PM +0200, Tomas Fasth wrote:
> Berkeley DB XML sources provided by Sleepycat Software. The pathan
> build script require a path to the xerces source code tree. I have

AOL on all the comments about how bad is to have this kind of
dependencies.

Still, if you fail convincing upstream to remove this source
dependencies you can follow the approach I took with the "wlex" source
package (an UTF8 lexer library for OCaml).

The wlex package used to build-depends on the "ocaml-source" package (a
binary package shipping in /usr/src a tarball of the ocaml source code).
In debian/rules I used to extract the tarball in debian/...  and invoke
the wlex build process pointing it to debian/...  as the directory
containing the ocaml source code.

Cheers.

PS note that wlex has been superseded by ulex, if you want to look ad
the sample debian/rules you have to look for it on snapshot.debian.net