Re: How can I build a package from source that require the source of another (library) package?

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 09:34:30PM +0200, Tomas Fasth wrote:
> Hello fellow developers, I have a problem on which I need advice.
>
> Pathan is a library that implements XPath functionality in c++. It
> is available both as a separate tarball as well as bundled with the
> Berkeley DB XML sources provided by Sleepycat Software. The pathan
> build script require a path to the xerces source code tree. I have
> tried to find a way to build the pathan library without providing
> the xerces source but failed.
>
> Is there anything I can do to work around this source dependency?
>
> I can always give up the idea of an independent build of the pathan
> library and ship it as part of dbxml where the source include both
> pathan and xerces (and berkeley db, and xquery; in the same source,
> sic; talk about bloat).

find out exactly the files in the xerces sources that are needed
to build Pathan (using strace, etc.). Change xerces26-dev to include
these files so that you can just build-dep on xerces26-dev. Then try to
help upstream to reduce the source dependency.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.