Re: Version tracking in the BTS

Helmut Wollmersdorfer <helmut.wollmersdorfer@gmx.at> writes:
> Frans Pop wrote:

>> In an perfect world a maintainer would review each patch as it is
>> submitted and remove the tag if the patch is not good.

> In common sense a patch is a proposed solution for a bug, independent
> from the author (bug submitter, maintainer, upstream or somebody else).

> Each sort of proposed solution needs an approval (e.g. regression test),
> if it removes the bug. If not, the bug cannot be closed as
> 'solved'. Thus I do not understand, why to remove the 'patch' tag.

Because if a bug is tagged with patch, other people looking over the bug
logs and wanting to be helpful (like me) will skip over the bug on the
assumption that it's already being dealt with.  So if the maintainer isn't
happy with the solution, they should remove the patch tag so that others
know that no solution has yet been found.