Re: Version tracking in the BTS

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 08:50:24PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> Also I don't think that "Patched" as a description for tag 'patch' is
> correct. The bug has not been patched, there just is a _proposed_ patch
> available. There is no certainty that the patch is either correct or will
> be accepted by the maintainer.

If it's known to be incorrect or the maintainer's not going to accept
it, the patch tag isn't appropriate:

    A patch or some other easy procedure for fixing the bug is included
    in the bug logs. If there's a patch, but it doesn't resolve the bug
    adequately or causes some other problems, this tag should not be
    used.

> What do others think of the new, extended subdivision of bugs?
> Personally I don't see enough difference in status between "unclassified"
> and "moreinfo" to warrant separating them.

The idea is that a maintainer can divide bugs by the actions needed:

    * patch: apply the patch, build, test, upload
    * moreinfo: no action -- waiting for more info
    * wontfix: no action -- won't fix anyway
    * unclassified: reproduce, analyse, come up with solutions
    * confirmed: analyse, come up with solutions

Bugs tagged "help", "unreproducible", and "upstream" aren't separated
out from unclassified at the moment; maybe "confirmed" shouldn't be
split from unclassified.

Thanks for the polite feedback, it's appreciated.

For those who preferred the bugs not broken up, visit

	http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/cookies.cgi?oldview=yes

Cheers,
aj