Re: making developer location from ldap public?

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 08:41:42AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> There are ways to use this information without making the location
> public.  We could add a geo-location search field, and then show the
> developers with geo-location closest to the point of interest, and
> their distance to this location.  This way the actual location of the
> DDs are still not public, but you can easily find the DDs to contact
> by searching for the position of the place you are visiting, and send
> emails to the closest ones.

as you can see from the prototype [0] (the only entries right now are in
munich, germany) this is hwo it works, it never shows the exact location.

BUT this DOES still disclose the real position as you can simply do
multiple queries with different locations and do the maths. we will
therefore change the system to round the locations in the database to
half a degree (or so), so you only get rough answers in the sense of "in
this city".

[0] http://debian.semistable.com/geoloc.pl

--
Robert Lemmen                               http://www.semistable.com