Re: WebSVN of svn.debian.org uses wrong encoding

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 22:39, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On 8/23/05, Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 August 2005 10:20, W. Borgert wrote:
> > > I have checked in some files into svn.debian.org.  The files are
> > > in UTF-8 encoding[1], but the web front-end seems to believe in
> > > ISO-8859-1.  Did I do something wrong when checking in files, or
> > > is WebSVN too plain in its assumptions?  How/where can I file a
> > > bug, if the problem is in svn.debian.org?  TIA!
> > >
> > > [1]
> > > http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/ddp/refcard/trunk/entries-ru.dbk?op=file
> >
> > WebSVN does not know about the contents of files in the repository
> > period.
>
> Then why does it say it's ISO-8859-1?
> If it doesn't know, it should say so.

Who cares what default it sets or not sets? The point is that it has no
way to determine the correct encoding for files in the svn repo.
Also, note that the "file" being shown is actually embedded in a standard
websvn page (header, footer, links) for which ISO-8859-1 probably _is_
the correct encoding.

Konqueror -> View -> Set Encoding -> Manual -> UTF-8 (or whatever other
encoding the page is actually in) and you get perfect Russian display.

Anyway, this is getting wildly off-topic for this list. Take it to websvn
upstream...