Re: WebSVN of svn.debian.org uses wrong encoding

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 10:20, W. Borgert wrote:
> I have checked in some files into svn.debian.org.  The files are
> in UTF-8 encoding[1], but the web front-end seems to believe in
> ISO-8859-1.  Did I do something wrong when checking in files, or
> is WebSVN too plain in its assumptions?  How/where can I file a
> bug, if the problem is in svn.debian.org?  TIA!
>
> [1] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/ddp/refcard/trunk/entries-ru.dbk?op=file

WebSVN does not know about the contents of files in the repository period.
As it is just a frontend to svn, you cannot expect it to know about every
weird file format and encoding around.
IMO, the main purpose of websvn is to be able to view diffs in _code_ and
maybe download individual files.
For everything else, use svn itself and work with its files in their
proper environment.

If you really want to file a bug about it, the Tech Support Tracking
System for project alioth on alioth is probably your best bet, but I
doubt that is really useful.

> (If WebSVN does not know about encodings, UTF-8 might be a more
> sensible default than ISO-8859-1 nowadays.)

Maybe, maybe not. Depends what part of the world you're from.
Food for endless flames^Wdiscussions.