Re: Using buildds only (was: Results of the meeting...)

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 11:25:41AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:42:18 +0200, Martin Pitt <mpitt@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >Something like this is in fact considered. Probably Ubuntu won't use
> >pbuilder itself since it is not the most efficient implementation
> >around, but rebuilding the buildd chroots from scratch would help to
> >eliminate many FTBFS bugs due to polluted chroots.
>
> Surely you are aware how much time it takes to rebuild a chroot on
> slower architectures. Some technology able to restore a large
> directory tree to a static default in short time should be used here.
>
> I am not sure whether LVM (have a LV with the master chroot image,
> make a snapshot, build inside the snapshot, remove the snapshot) could
> help here.

Then you'd have to keep the master chroot image up-to-date. If you don't
do that, after a while the master image will digress too much from the
actual Debian archive, and you end up with spending loads of cpu time
upgrading the same packages over and over again after each build.

I've been told the amd64 people have implemented something similar in
the past, but I'm not sure I like that approach.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond