update of (several) config files

Hello,
I am trying to set up a tool for easy update of several computers in our institute. For example, I would like to create a package that updates several config files, e.g. /etc/apt/sources.list etc.
What is the best way of doing that ?

So far I think about an package that only contains a pre-install, post-install, pre-remove and post-remove scripts. These scripts would then add/remove certain lines from the config files and run updates. Is this the right way or is there better way how to proceed ?

Thanks a lot,

best regards

          Tomas

E-mail : davidek@ipnp.troja.mff.cuni.cz,