Re: SUMMARY: Re: shared library -dev package naming proposal

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 07:05:34AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:

> We've had that discussion before.  Last I recall there wasn't really a
> huge fight to keep them.

Well, Debian developers do not really need them. But there are people
who do not develop Debian but develop other software _using_ Debian and
static linking is important for them (for example, if you have to submit
a job to a remote machine where you have no knowledge nor control over
what software is installed, you have no other choice than to link
everything (except maybe libc) statically into your application).

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences