Re: SUMMARY: Re: shared library -dev package naming proposal

* Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org) wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 08:57:51PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org) wrote:
>
> > > Then fix it instead of giving people bad advice.
>
> > Do you actually have anything beyond "libtool breaks otherwise, so it
> > *must* be good!"?  Here's some advice: rm *.la.  Yay, fixes the problem
> > *and* doesn't require everyone to add in dependencies that end up
> > pulling in hundreds of unneeded packages when trying to build something.
>
> Dropping .la files, without also dropping .a files, will unnecessarily
> complicate matters for anyone statically linking against that lib.  As long
> as we still nominally support static linking, I expect that most lib
> maintainers are not going to be willing to do this.
>
> But ok, yes, that is an option; let's spell the options out completely:
>
> - Don't ship .la files in the -dev package; don't depend on any other -dev
>   packages except those whose headers you need.  This gives optimal results
>   for shared linking by pruning all unnecessary build-dependencies and
>   dependencies; but it also screws over anyone trying to do static linking,
>   who now has to go *recursively* hunt down the package name for each of the
>   library dependencies, based only on the names of the symbols exported.
>   (So why would anyone ship the static libs at this point...?)

If we want to support static linking then let's break it off into it's
own '-static' package with appropriate dependencies.  Personally I don't
think it's really worth it and we should just go ahead and drop the
static libraries too.  It'd certainly make the -dev packages alot
smaller.  Maybe then we could just put -dbg stuff in the -dev packages.
:)

> - Kill the .la files and .a files.  Drop support for static linking.  Not
>   something that should be done lightly and without prior project-wide
>   discussion.

We've had that discussion before.  Last I recall there wasn't really a
huge fight to keep them.

	Stephen