Re: Please participate in popularity-contest

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 04:43:32PM +0200, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On 7/25/05, Adeodato Simó <asp16@alu.ua.es> wrote:
> >  Or even better, make sure d-i installs anacron for desktop systems.
>
> What's the disadvantage of anacron compared to cron (or: Why not
> always install it instead of cron)?

Anacron isn't actually a daemon. It's run by cron once a day, and on
startup/apm-resume.

The main 'disadvantage' of anacron, is that it's set up by default to
only run /etc/cron.{daily,weekly,monthly}. It won't take care of running
normal cron jobs that would have been scheduled to run otherwise, and
didn't run because the computer wasn't on.

Cheers,

Pasc (with his "I'm the anacron maintainer" hat on)

--
Pascal Hakim                                          0403 411 672
Do Not Bend