Re: Removal of transitional dummy packages

On 10353 March 1977, Santiago Vila wrote:

>> we need to remove
>> from the archive all the Woody-to-Sarge transition dummy packages.
> No, that's not true, we don't *need* to remove woody-to-sarge dummy
> packages, as they are also woody-to-etch dummy packages.

We do not support that. No. So yes, woody->sarge packages should be
removed, there is no reason to keep them. Upgrades from woody go via
sarge and then to etch.

>> In a few weeks, we'll start filing RC bugs against the remaining
>> packages.
> RC bug? What the heck are you talking about?

No RC Bug, normal severity. If its a dummy out of an (now) empty source
package, then ftp.debian.org Bug with CC to maintainer could be better.

> You can argue that we don't have a clear and defined policy about how
> long "should" a dummy package be kept in the archives, but it is
> definitely *not* in policy that dummy packages *have* to be removed
> after one release.

As we only support upgrades to the next release and not any other its
very clear to remove them from the archive.

--
bye Joerg
<ribnitz> Ganneff: NM-queue ist das schnellste zu uploadrechten für ein paket,