Re: Removal of transitional dummy packages

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Mohammed Adnène Trojette wrote:

> Hello Debian mainainers,
>
> In accordance with the Etch wishlist^wTODOList[1],

Do not confuse a personal wishlist with a real todo list.

> we need to remove
> from the archive all the Woody-to-Sarge transition dummy packages.

No, that's not true, we don't *need* to remove woody-to-sarge dummy
packages, as they are also woody-to-etch dummy packages.

> This is why Clément Stenac and I have tried to establish a list of the
> packages to be removed[2]. This[3] page also explains how the list was
> built.
>
> If one of your packages is listed here[2], please remove it from your
> control file and ask ftp-masters for its removal from the archive by
> filing a bug on ftp.debian.org (of course, we might have made some
> mistakes computing this list, please contact us
> on <dummy at diwi dot org> should you have any question/remark.)
>
> In a few weeks, we'll start filing RC bugs against the remaining
> packages.

RC bug? What the heck are you talking about?

You can argue that we don't have a clear and defined policy about how
long "should" a dummy package be kept in the archives, but it is
definitely *not* in policy that dummy packages *have* to be removed
after one release.

Please do not make "policy" by submitting bugs.