Re: skills of developers

#include <hallo.h>
* Thijs Kinkhorst [Fri, Jul 15 2005, 12:27:55PM]:
> On Fri, July 15, 2005 02:36, Laszlo Boszormenyi wrote:
> >  Debian _Developer_. You can translate documents, submit then against
> > the package as patch for example. You can even join to the translation
> > teams.
>
> You claim that if someone spends just as much time translating Debian as
> someone else does on packaging software, the first one shouldn't become a
> DD and the second one does? I disagree firmly.

Packaging is the essential work and everyone involved into Debian must
be able to do the basic things. You don't go to military just to sit
around and do office work - everyone has to go trough basic training.

> Being an official DD is more than just technical: access to the archive
> and machines. It means that you're officially affiliated with the project

You get the access because you need it - to do your work as packager. Do
you really want to tell us that you absoletely need to have access to an
ia64 box to reproduce a weird upstream bug in ... an SGML text?

> (and can demonstrate this in a variety of ways, including a debian.org
> email address). And that you can influence its direction when there's a

Aha, that's what it is all about. Demonstrate the "beeing a VIP".

> vote up. I don't see why packagers should and translators shouldn't be
> allowed to vote if they invest the same amount of time.

The outcome of the votes mostly affects... whom? Right, the packagers,
or at least people that know what it is all about. For the same reasons
Debian policy is not written by lawyers or philosophers.

> Your "you can submit patches as a translator" goes just as well for
> packagers; anyone can get a package in through a sponsor.

If the software is worthy beeing packaged and the packaging quality is
good (or can be improved in co-work with the maintainer), there should
be no big problem finding a sponsor.

Regards,
Eduard.

--
<mrvn> schoos: Für was ist denn Pascal besser geeignet als andere oder Scheme?
<schoos> mrvn: Pascal? Für das Verständnis von Wirths Büchern