Re: shared library -dev package naming proposal

Hi,

> > I'd like to propose, for new -dev packages, to
> > name -dev packages after their runtime library counterparts.
>
> I personally found it very handy that the dev packages automatically
> selects the most recent API compatible version. Why do you want this
> switch by the way? You did not name reasons as far as I could see.

The current recommendation I'm trying to give is:

Package: libXXXNNNN-dev
Conflicts: libXXX-dev
Provides: libXXX-dev

Thus, it won't contradict with your requirement to
be able to just build-depend on libXXX-dev.

Having a solid naming scheme will allow me to

ldd /usr/lib/libwhatever.so to track down its
shared library dependency, and appending "-dev"
to individual package to create the list of
requisite -dev packages.

regards,
	junichi