Re: shared library -dev package naming proposal

Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> writes:

> Having a solid naming scheme will allow me to
>
> ldd /usr/lib/libwhatever.so to track down its
> shared library dependency, and appending "-dev"
> to individual package to create the list of
> requisite -dev packages.

With the current scheme it is:

ldd /usr/lib/libwhatever.so to track down its shared library
dependency, strip the soversion and appending "-dev" to individual
package to create the list of requisite -dev packages.

And, by the way, that list is just plain wrong.

Say you have:

libfoobar1 depends (only on) libfoo1, libfoo1 depends libbar1.

YOU would get:

libfoo1: Depends: libbar1-dev
libfoobar1-dev Depends: libfoo1-dev, libbar1-dev.

Now libbar2 is uploaded and libfoo1 recompiled with libbar2:

libfoobar1 depends libfoo1, libfoo1 depends libbar2.
libfoo1: Depends: libbar2-dev

libfoobar1-dev is now uninstallable for no good reason at all.

MfG
        Goswin