Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies

* Bill Allombert [Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:36:39 -0500]:

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 07:39:16PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:

> > Perhaps we should just move to section libs any package which is
> > useless by itself, and it's only useful in combination with others,
> > much like libraries, but without requiring them to be real libraries.

> Good idea. Or we could have a new section for architecture independant data.
> Moving everything which is not mean to be directly installed by users
> in it, so the section games only contains actual games and not the data
> files.

  I support this proposal, at least as an interim solution till we can
  have something better (e.g., package management tools being aware of a
  certain debtag). And as somebody mentioned elsewhere in the thread,
  together with documentation in our user guide and FAQ about the
  markauto feature of aptitude, and deborphan/debfoster.

  I'd like to hear from ftpmaster (CC'ed) if, provided this solution
  gains some acceptance, they'd be willing to help with a mass-change in
  the override files (see numbers below), and/or with the creation of
  such new section.

  Thanks.

  % grep-dctrl <SID -Fpackage -e '.*-data$' -ns section | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn
     79 games
     14 libs
     11 gnome
     10 graphics
      6 science
      5 x11
      5 misc
      5 kde
      4 utils
      4 text
      4 net
      4 math
      3 devel
      2 admin
      1 web
      1 tex
      1 sound

  % grep-dctrl <SID -Fpackage -e '.*-common$' -ns section | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn
     27 net
     21 misc
     20 libs
     15 editors
     14 devel
     13 games
     12 web
     12 python
     11 x11
     10 text
      9 admin
      6 utils
      6 interpreters
      5 science
      5 mail
      5 gnome
      4 sound
      3 math
      3 doc
      2 graphics
      1 tex
      1 otherosfs
      1 libdevel
      1 embedded
      1 comm

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621