Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

* Gervase Markham (gerv@mozilla.org) wrote:
> Eric Dorland wrote:
> >The thread is petering out
>
> Only because there's only one of me, and I'm too busy to deal with the
> volume! It's currently ten to midnight and I just got back from speaking
> at a conference in Wolverhampton.

The volume has been pretty light compared to most Debian flamewars.

> >Some very smart developers have come forward to say that trademarks
> >don't matter with respect to free software.
>
> I'd certainly disagree with that. I'd say they matter very much. I think
> free software should actively use trademarks for what they are designed
> for - a mark of quality.
>
> >Firefox. There is also very little guidance in what would be
> >acceptable trademark restrictions for a free software project. I hope
> >there can still be some dialog within Debian and hopefully come up
> >with some guidelines that developers can accept.
>
> That would be excellent. I hope that my suggestions for managing the
> Firefox trademark would be a starting point for those discussions.
>
> >So, I don't feel I can accept the agreement offered by the Mozilla
> >Foundation, because of my objections to it and because I don't feel
> >empowered to make an agreement like this on behalf of Debian.
>
> If you are not empowered, who is?

The DPL, as I point out in the next paragraph.

> >If the DPL does not step forward to make some sort of agreement, what
> >will I do? Renaming seems to be a very unpopular option. So I believe
> >my best option is to ignore the trademark policy altogether and have
> >the Mozilla Foundation tell us when they want us to stop using their
> >marks.
>
> Would you adopt a similar attitude to copyright infringement?

No, but as many have pointed out, they're not the same thing. If they
were, clearly your agreement would be non-free.

--
Eric Dorland <eric.dorland@mail.mcgill.ca>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: hooty@jabber.com