Re: Greylisting for @debian.org email, please

On Saturday 18 June 2005 01:07, Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> wrote:
> I perfectly understand what SMTP is, and I perfectly *don't* understand
> why having a 30 minutes delay or even a 2 or 3 hours delay in some
> conditions is tolerable.

Why is it tolerable to receive 200 spams in a day?  On a bad day I will
receive over 100 spams even though I use most of the anti-spam measures that
some people in this discussion don't like.

The more spam that people receive the less care they will take when deleting
the spam without reading it.  This leads to legitimate messages being deleted
by mistake.  Bad luck for you if your question about my package appears in
between a few spams in my inbox and I accidentally delete it with the spam.

The Debian servers send out a significant number of bounces for spam.  Some
DDs have their mail server do in-line content filtering and reject mail with
a SMTP 55x code which is sent to them from the Debian server because it was
addressed to their @debian.org address.  This leads to spam bounces and delay
messages from the Debian servers going to innocent people.  This means that
when a non-spam message bounces because a Debian server can't send it on it
will probably be ignored.