Re: Greylisting for @debian.org email, please

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 03:13:27PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org> writes:
>
> >   Choosing not to use greylisting because it causes mail to become
> >  non-realtime is *not* a valid complaint.  Which is the point I was
> >  trying to make in a roundabout fashion.
>
> People are not using "realtime" in its technical sense here.  They are
> using it to mean "as fast as possible".

Of course.  I expect mail, when properly configured at both ends, to
arrive quickly; it's extremely common for me to be holding a conversation
on some other medium (IRC, telephone), to have them mail me something,
and for us to sit around for all of five seconds before I have the mail
and we continue what we're doing.  That's very common and quite reliable.
The core of his argument appears to be "well, I don't care about that, so
you shouldn't either", and that's incredibly unconvincing.

(I don't care about @debian.org mail per se; I care about the fact that
Debian acts as a role model in the community, and Debian's practices will
directly affect those of others.  Ignoring this fact is extremely
irresponsible.)

--
Glenn Maynard