Re: Keysigning without physically meeting ... thoughts?

Ron Johnson dijo [Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 05:48:46AM -0500]:
> > A while ago, in an IRC discussion, it was revealed that a notary in the
> > US doesn't mean as much as it does in Europe.
> >
> > AIUI, in the US, a notary is just some extra title a lot of secretaries
> > have, so that they can make some documents more official.
>
> That's wrong.  You take a non-trivial test, and be background checked.
>
> The secretaries you are referring to are 99.9% of the time in law
> offices and title-transfer companies.

Well, the main point behind this still stands: In the US, notaries are
quite common and cheap. In Mexico, they serve +- the same role as
there (gathered from your other replies in this thread and from what I
know), but I don't think a single notary in this city would certify
that I am the guy that appears in my government-issued ID without
charging me some US$200 first, at the very least. Most people in this
country don't make more than US$400 a month, so notaries are an
unaffordable luxury.

...And that for simple transactions. My father bought his house a
couple of years ago. IIRC, the notary's fee for the transaction was
closer to US$1500.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5623-0154