Re: Keysigning without physically meeting ... thoughts?

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:14:43 +0200
Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 07:54:51AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 May 2005 14:13:54 -0600, "Wesley J. Landaker"
> > <wjl@icecavern.net> wrote:
> > >Right, but they have to get it notarized (or forge a notary's seal, which is
> > >a criminal offense, at least in the US) which requires government ID
> > >(again, at least in the US).
> >
> > The entire procedure is quite US centric. I don't understand why you
> > US guys are so fond of your notaries.
>
> A while ago, in an IRC discussion, it was revealed that a notary in the
> US doesn't mean as much as it does in Europe.
>
> AIUI, in the US, a notary is just some extra title a lot of secretaries
> have, so that they can make some documents more official.

That's wrong.  You take a non-trivial test, and be background checked.

The secretaries you are referring to are 99.9% of the time in law
offices and title-transfer companies.

For example, why see a lawyer, when all you need is an unbiased
3rd party to certify that it was actually you who signed that
document?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA  USA

"Organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon compounds.
Biochemistry is the study of carbon compounds that crawl."
Mike Adams