Re: Keysigning without physically meeting ... thoughts?

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 07:54:51AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2005 14:13:54 -0600, "Wesley J. Landaker"
> <wjl@icecavern.net> wrote:
> >Right, but they have to get it notarized (or forge a notary's seal, which is
> >a criminal offense, at least in the US) which requires government ID
> >(again, at least in the US).
>
> The entire procedure is quite US centric. I don't understand why you
> US guys are so fond of your notaries.

A while ago, in an IRC discussion, it was revealed that a notary in the
US doesn't mean as much as it does in Europe.

AIUI, in the US, a notary is just some extra title a lot of secretaries
have, so that they can make some documents more official.

Over here, however, being a notary is a full-time job; in addition, many
notaries employ some clerks, too.

> Over here, it's a three digit bill for the notary to open the office
> door and to offer you a chair,

Well, in Belgium it's not /that/ bad (a notary is required by law to
give you free advice), but the moment he uses his stamp, it indeed is a
three digit bill (around €900 last time I required the use of a notary's
services)

pavement is precisely one bananosecond