Re: Keysigning without physically meeting ... thoughts?

* Wouter Verhelst:

> Well, in Belgium it's not /that/ bad (a notary is required by law to
> give you free advice), but the moment he uses his stamp, it indeed is a
> three digit bill (around €900 last time I required the use of a notary's
> services)

The fee depends in part on the value of the transaction that is being
certified.

Notaries and their lobbyists fight very hard to stop the proliferation
of state-approved digital signatures.  After all, you wouldn't consult
them anymore if you could get the same level of service using two $30
smartcards.