Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 02:17:46PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> Is that not the purpose of single user mode or run level 1?

Pray tell me how can run level 1 be enough to solve the problem I described
if you need to have networking capabitilies to:

a) find a solution to your plight through Google. Yes, you can manually
start up the netbase stuff you need, but that's hardly some novice can do:

Compare
"init 1 -> root login (ummm what was my user password?) --> start up
networking -> use lynx (wait, are you browsing as root?)"

"select non-X startup in grub -> login as your user -> use lynx"

b) have somebody remotely assist you through SSH

Compare
"init 1 -> root login -> start up networking -> start up ssh -> phone
friend"

"select non-X startup in grub -> (wait for system to startup) -> phone
friend"

Consider this ficticious scenario: if the "frozen system due to X
misconfiguration" had been my parent's and they have had an option to "boot
with no X" then I could have been able to ask them to start up their system
with that option and diagnost it from my home instead of driving to my
parent's to fix the issue on console.

Yes, most people with Debian experience could work around this but it's way
beyond most desktop users that don't know what init.d is.

C'mon there are plenty of OSes out there who have multiple bootup profiles
that range from a rescue shell (our runlevel 1) to full environment. That's
useful to debug issues ("why doesn't the system bootup? it must be because
of the automatic hardware detection/configuration, it works in profile X
but not in Y") and to have a limited but functional environment when you
can work around an issue.

I fail to understand why there's so much resistance to this feature when
others find it very useful Fedora Core / RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake in the
Linux distributions area and in all the different (gasp) Windows versions.

Oh well...

Javier