Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 03:34:26PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> Nobody. However, you're assuming that xdm et al will keep trying to
> start an X server, even if it fails. Luckily, the respective initscripts
> are far more clever than that.

I've had a laptop that froze because of X starting up and using the wrong
driver to access the card (some of the embedded graphic cards in laptops
are really crappy). The only way to fix this was to startup with a rescue
CD and preventing xdm from running with an 'exit 0' in its initd script (or
by removing its links). At the time, I would have appreciated the
opportunity to bootup in a runlevel that wouldn't try to start up the X
environment until I had fixed the issue.

Just my 2c

Javier