Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:44:33AM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:17:08AM -0500, Bill Allombert wrote:
>
> > As far as popularity-contest is involved, Ubuntu users are not Debian
> > users since they cannot report to popcon.debian.org because the
> > popularity-contest package provided by Ubuntu report to popcon.ubuntu.com,

Hmm, you forgot to quote the line about popcon.debian.org support being
removed.

> Do you see this, in itself, as a problem?  It seemed obvious to me that it
> would be inappropriate for Ubuntu systems to submit their data to the same
> repository as Debian users, since the data would be heavily skewed by our
> default package selections, and difficult to filter.
>
> reportbug submits to Ubuntu, instead of Debian, for similar reasons.

and I forgot to answer this one:

reportbug submits to Ubuntu by default, but can be easily configured
to report to Debian (by changing bts ubuntu by bts debian in
/etc/reportbug.conf) and use the same codebase, so it is not a fork.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.