Re: Dear Adrian Bunk, Please hold off a week or two

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 11:22:20AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > I noticed that Adrian moved a bug report for a kernel in sid (2.6.10
> > IIRC) to the 2.6.8 kernel so it appeared as a Sarge RC Bug?  I didn't
> > see anything that showed that it was a 2.6.8 problem, maybe it is, but
> > it looked like second guessing to me...

> The important part of the bug log is the following by one of the Debian
> kernel maintainers:
>   well reiserfs doesn't work well with preempt,
>   could you please try the 2.6.11 kernel-iamge.
>   there preempt is disabled afair.

> PREEMPT is enabled in both the 2.6.8 and the 2.6.10 kernel images but no
> longer in the 2.6.11 kernel images.

> It might look like second guessing, but if ReiserFS has problems with
> PREEMPT in 2.6.10, the probability that this is also present in 2.6.8 is
> quite high.

> > How is this helping Sarge?  If it turns out that it does affect part
> > of Sarge then isn't there a means provided to upload the new .deb
> > files after release?

> The main question is not when and how to fix such an issue.

> The problem is that the release team's scripts to measure their RC bugs
> metric can't handle pseudo-packages correctly.

> Steve has already acknowledged this limitation (and AFAIK it has yet
> to be fixed).

> Therefore my reassigning was required to get this bug on the radar of
> the release team.

Actually, I've started using

 lynx -width=160 -dump http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/other/all.html \
 | grep -v '\[[EUS]*X*\]\|I\]\|\[TX\]' | grep -B3 '\[........\]'

as a means of tracking the status of sarge-affecting RC bugs according to
bugs.debian.org.

The diff between this and bts.turmzimmer.net includes two bugs against
packages that are only in non-US; two bugs against installation-reports
which most likely need to be downgraded; one upgrade-reports bug which is
probably unreproducible; one bug on 'kernel' that is probably sarge-ignore
but I haven't looked at it in any detail yet; one unreproducible bug against
"general" which is probably a fixed bug in an old package; and one RC bug
against ftp.debian.org asking for d-i udeb packages to be synced for the
release (95% resolved as far as the release is concerned, current overall
status seen at <http://www.wolffelaar.nl/~jeroen/d-i/sarge-sarge.txt>).

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer