Re: Dear Adrian Bunk, Please hold off a week or two

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 04:07:11PM +1200, Nigel Jones wrote:

> I noticed that Adrian moved a bug report for a kernel in sid (2.6.10
> IIRC) to the 2.6.8 kernel so it appeared as a Sarge RC Bug?  I didn't
> see anything that showed that it was a 2.6.8 problem, maybe it is, but
> it looked like second guessing to me...

The important part of the bug log is the following by one of the Debian
kernel maintainers:
  well reiserfs doesn't work well with preempt,
  could you please try the 2.6.11 kernel-iamge.
  there preempt is disabled afair.

PREEMPT is enabled in both the 2.6.8 and the 2.6.10 kernel images but no
longer in the 2.6.11 kernel images.

It might look like second guessing, but if ReiserFS has problems with
PREEMPT in 2.6.10, the probability that this is also present in 2.6.8 is
quite high.

> How is this helping Sarge?  If it turns out that it does affect part
> of Sarge then isn't there a means provided to upload the new .deb
> files after release?

The main question is not when and how to fix such an issue.

The problem is that the release team's scripts to measure their RC bugs
metric can't handle pseudo-packages correctly.

Steve has already acknowledged this limitation (and AFAIK it has yet
to be fixed).

Therefore my reassigning was required to get this bug on the radar of
the release team.

> Bug in question is #303200, also it seems it was downgraded to a
> non-RC bug, so now doesn't that mean that it is now filed in wrong
> places?

The most important thing seems to be the added "moreinfo" tag.

The maintainer know better about such issues than I do.

I do not claim to have been able to reproduce this problem, all I claim
is that if it's a problem (IOW: not a local hardware problem of the
submitter) it's most likely also present in kernel 2.6.8.

And my reassigning was requred to get it on the radar of the release
team.

> N Jones

cu
Adrian