Re: [Release Notes] Use Woody's or Sarge's aptitude for upgrades?

Hi Frans,

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 12:31:29AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Monday 16 May 2005 17:58, Frans Pop wrote:
> > Should users first upgrade dpkg and aptitude before upgrading the rest
> > of the system or can the upgrade safely be done using Woody's version
> > of the package tools?

> From the reactions to this thread and a thread on #309340 [1], the
> consensus seems to be that the upgrade method least likely to have
> problems is:

> 1. Check that /etc/apt/sources.list points to "woody"
> 2. apt-get update
> 3. apt-get install aptitude
> 4. change the /etc/apt/sources.list to point to "sarge"
> 5. apt-get update
> 6. aptitude install aptitude dpkg
> 7. aptitude -f --with-recommends dist-upgrade

> Comments
> 1. If the sources.list pointed to stable the user should check if
>    he has already updated anything; he will be largely on his own
>    if that should produce problems.
> 3. Woody's aptitude is installed because using that to install/upgrade
>    to Sarge's aptitude produces less problems than using apt-get.
> 4. The consensus seems to be that using "sarge" instead of "stable" is
>    more secure as it will prevent premature upgrades for a next release.
> 5. apt-get is used to work around #309357.

> The main open question now is step 6. There are two options:
> - upgrade both aptitude and dpkg _before_ the dist-upgrade;
> - upgrade _only_ aptitude and leave the upgrade of dpkg to be done as
>   part of the dist-upgrade.

> From my own experiences [2] it seems it could be wise to advise a bit more
> flexible method. For me 'aptitude install aptitude dpkg perl' (i.e. with
> "perl" added) produced the best results for step 6.

Is there a difference in packages removed if you run "aptitude install
aptitude" instead of "aptitude install aptitude dpkg"?  I don't see any
reason why dpkg needs to be upgraded first, unlike aptitude.

If perl needs to be added to the list, I say to just add it.  People who
have Prio: standard packages missing from their systems probably won't want
to follow our advise to use aptitude, either.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer