Re: Buildd redundancy (was Re: Bits (Nybbles?) from the Vancouver...)

* Andreas Barth (aba@not.so.argh.org) wrote:
> * Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org) [050319 12:35]:
> > On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 12:20:34AM -0800, Blars Blarson wrote:
> > > - at least two buildd administrators
> >
> > > This allows the buildd administrator to take vacations, etc.
>
> > This is at odds with what I've heard from some buildd maintainers that
> > having multiple buildd maintainers makes it hard to avoid stepping on one
> > another's feet, so I wouldn't want to set a requirement like this without
> > further discussion.
>
> Actually, there was some discussion about that in Vancouver :)
>
> It boils down to more or less having at least two people to be able to
> maintain any of the buildds, so that if the primary buildd admin goes on
> vacation / is ill / ..., that doesn't put this buildd completly off-line.
> In fact, this has already happened in the past, without anybody except
> the buildd admins noticing it.

It strikes me as rather silly that Debian can't come up with a way for
two people to be able to work with a single buildd, either at the same
time or not.  It would probably require *some* talking/coordination
between them but tools could be written to help with that a great deal.

	Stephen