On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 09:06:23PM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> David Nusinow wrote:
> > You know, you keep saying this and I have a really hard time
> > believing it, although I don't follow the kernel list so please
> > enlighten me if I'm wrong.
>
> The plan is to profit from better upstream architecture integration
> since 2.6 and build all kernel images from a single package. Sven, btw,
> is a member of the kernel team.

Yes, I know Sven is a member of the kernel team which is why I'm
more than happy to give him, and everyone else on it the benefit
of the doubt.

> > If you have a single source package for 12 different architectures
> > that's great, because when you have a security fix you can take
> > care of that more easily. That's awesome.
>
> We have that already.

Great to hear. Then what is this new plan that the kernel team
has? I'm definitely confused.

> > But then you'll be trading off for the same problems that every
> > single other packge faces: namely that if a kernel on a single arch
> > has an RC bug then it affects the kernels on every arch. This strikes
> > me as being very problematic, and the only way I see around it is
> > to downgrade actual RC bugs, which isn't really a solution at all.
>
> Most kernel security bugs hit either generic code, or all architectures
> equally.

Yeah, but I'm talking about non-security RC bugs. From what
little Sven has described I feel like the new kernel plan will
make it so these platform-specific bugs are problematic for all
architectures. Does the new integration from upstream take care
of this and if not, how does the kernel team plan to deal with
this issue?

 - David Nusinow