Re: Buildd redundancy (was Re: Bits (Nybbles?) from the Vancouver...)

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 12:20:34AM -0800, Blars Blarson wrote:
> In article <20050314044505.GA5157@mauritius.dodds.net> vorlon@debian.org writes:
> >- the release architecture must have N+1 buildds where N is the number
> >  required to keep up with the volume of uploaded packages

> If we are going to require redundancy, I think we should do it better
> and add:

> - systems located in at least two different facilities (different
>   cities and backbones if at all possible)

> This allows for redundancy in case of fire, flood, earthquake etc.

Yes, this was my expectation with this requirement, and I've confirmed that
others at the meeting had the same thing in mind -- geographic separation is
part of the point of having buildd redundancy.

> - at least two buildd administrators

> This allows the buildd administrator to take vacations, etc.

This is at odds with what I've heard from some buildd maintainers that
having multiple buildd maintainers makes it hard to avoid stepping on one
another's feet, so I wouldn't want to set a requirement like this without
further discussion.  Having multiple *local* admins, OTOH, follows from
having geographic separation of the machines.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer