On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 09:47:42PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 07:59:43PM +0000, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
> > > AFAI can tell, anybody can host an archive of packages built from stable
> > > sources for a scc or unofficial port. And - if I read the conditions on
> > > becoming a fully supported Debian arch right - then having security support
> > > for an external pool of this arch is a good indicator that it should be a
> > > fully supported stable release (amongst other things).
>
> > The plan as proposed is that the Debian scc ports are purely builds of
> > unstable. Hence this build out of the last release (e.g. etch) becomes a
> > subproject of a second-class project of Debian. It effectively has
> > little credibility.
>
> Well, the release team are not the only Debian developers with credibility,
> surely?  Not everything needs to go through us; if the project has the will
> to do stable releases of these architectures, in spite of the release team
> being unwilling to delay other architectures while waiting for them, then
> it should be very possible to provide full stable releases for these
> architectures.

Which delays are expected for etch, that are not only imposed by the
usage of testing for release purposes? [1]

I do still doubt that testing actually is an improvement compared to the
former method of freezing unstable, and even more do I doubt it's worth
sacrificing 8 architectures.

> Steve Langasek

cu
Adrian

[1] The installer might be a point, but since all sarge architectures
    will have a working installer and I hope there's not another
    installer rewrite planned for etch this shouldn't be a big issue.

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed