On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:52:22 -0500, David Nusinow
<david_nusinow@verizon.net> wrote:
>Sarge was already very late before Ubuntu existed. Our mirror network was
>already strained before Ubuntu existed. Our release team was struggling to get
>sarge out before Ubuntu existed. Our security team was already undermanned
>before Ubuntu existed. d-i was short on contributers and had a hard time
>releasing before Ubuntu existed.

From what is public visible, the security team has lost at least one
of the active members to ubuntu with no replacement up to today. And
d-i's effort is practically wasted since we decided for d-i because we
needed to support more architectures. If we had thrown out the
doorstops years ago, we could simply have taken one of the readily
available installers without rolling our own.

Greetings
Marc