Re: discussing Debians qualities

Hi, Julien BLACHE wrote:

> The time it takes to do a release nowadays might very well be related
> to the use of testing. I tend to think we did better before we
> introduced testing.

Probably. On the other hand, I think that the coverage we get from testing
is a lot higher than from unstable, by the simple fact that more people
risk using testing as their day-to-day system. (I wouldn't dream of
installing Unstable on my "Real Work" system. Testing? No problem.)

There's also the advantage of having something that's consistent and
installable, in theory at least. A program that blocks migration of
something important to testing is far more obvious than some unobtrusive
package that's uninstallable for ages because nobody thought to rebuild it.

Thus I do not support dropping testing.

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf@smurf.noris.de