discussing Debians qualities (was: Re: Bits (Nybbles?) from the Vancouver release team meeting)

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 14:34, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> David Schmitt <david@schmitt.edv-bus.at> wrote:
> >> Sure, and I won't say the contrary. But having a great infrastructure
> >> (which is the case) and great people doing good work is of no help in
> >> making Debian if you haven't got any packages. We have some 10k+
> >> packages, only a fraction of them are actually maintained by those
> >> people.
> >
> > Looking at efforts for coordination and doing the needed work for a
> > stable release (tracking RC bugs, D-I, security support, buildd
> > administration) the ratio is exactly the other way. Debian is
> > Debian/stable. Removing those working primarily on releasing would leave
> > only a shell of Debian behind.
>
> We are all working for the stable release, you know. We're all trying
> to provide the best software in the best distribution. That's partly
> why we're all trying to slip a new revision of a package under the
> door: because we're never satisfied.

There are people who have other quality criteria than you. To expand your
example, I do not believe that the latest version is always the greatest.

> Saying anything else is just an insult to us all.

Just because I have a different opinion than doesn't mean I am out to get you
or something. I am well aware, that incredible masses of packages are
maintained by great people out there at a level I probably won't reach. But I
also have to admit, that my customers use only a minor fraction of those
packages and that Debians ability for stable releases with all this includes
are _today_ is a major decision factor for the upgrades done in two years
time.

Regards, David
--
- hallo... wie gehts heute?