debian/NEWS.Debian / apt-listchanges woes

The next version of R [1] ships with the previously included Gnome front-end.

So the r-gnome binary package becomes an empty shell, and I would like to
signal that via a NEWS file (as opposed to a debconf message).  However, in
my tests, the NEWS file never got displayed by apt-listchanges.

I plan to upload the next r-gnome as

edd@basebud:~> dpkg -L r-gnome
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/r-gnome
/usr/share/doc/r-gnome/copyright
/usr/share/doc/r-gnome/NEWS.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/r-gnome/changelog.Debian.gz

(and upstream changelogs are of course in r-base-core on which this still
Depends).

Is there anything else I need to do to get NEWS.Debian displayed at
installation? apt-listchanges is conf'ed for 'both' on my box.

Please CC me on replies.

Thanks, Dirk

[1] Slated for release on April 18, I'll probably start weekly alpha/beta
    release cycle next week.
[2] This was always considered "unfinished and experiment"; it is based on
    Gtk 1.2 code)

--
Better to have an approximate answer to the right question than a precise
answer to the wrong question.  --  John Tukey as quoted by John Chambers