Re: debian/NEWS.Debian / apt-listchanges woes

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 10:45:00AM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> The next version of R [1] ships with the previously included Gnome front-end.

without, I assume.

> So the r-gnome binary package becomes an empty shell, and I would like to
> signal that via a NEWS file (as opposed to a debconf message).  However, in
> my tests, the NEWS file never got displayed by apt-listchanges.

Why do you still include that package then? If that package stops
existing, you shouldn't build it anymore IMHO. Having an empty package
only has use if it's a transition package depending on the renamed
package. Since this isn't what r-gnome will be as far as I understand
you, you should simply stop building r-gnome from r-base. People
upgrading will notice r-gnome will be uninstalled (if dependencies force
that) or that it is obsolete (otherwise, if they use a proper frontend
like aptitude). It'd otherwise also be a bit of a bummer if someone
installs r-gnome, only to discover it's an empty package.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl