Re: querying available package versions over the net

Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> writes:

> In order to fix debget to work with package pools
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=84368) I need to know
> what versions of a package are available, without relying on apt's
> cache.  (The main point of the program is to fetch versions of a package
> for distributions which aren't in your sources.list.)
>
> I can't simply rely on what's in the package's pool directory, because I
> need to know at the least which versions are experimental (to avoid them
> unless specifically requested), and ideally what the current version for
> each distribution is (so I can fetch based on distribution, instead of
> just getting the latest or by version).
> Does anybody have any other suggestions?
>
> I'll follow debian-devel for responses, but please Cc: me on replies if
> possible.  Thanks.

Why not create your own apt/lists and apt/cache directory, run apt-get
update and then apt-cache on the same? The debget package description
says it "doesn't require a local copy of the Packages files", maybe
that should be rethought.

For an example how to download packages with apt that way read the
get-packages script from D-I.

MfG
        Goswin